5 things to do to recharge over the break
These were the parting words in my last Generation Next Newsletter article for 2012.
All this year I’ve focused on student wellbeing.
But for the next 5-6 weeks (in Oz, less in the US or Europe) it’s all about you. Make sure you take the time to recharge your battery over summer by doing these 5 things.
- Connect with your family and friends. Take time to nurture your relationships, as often those closest to you are the ones we forget when we’re caught up in the day-to-day demands of our job.
- Take notice of the things and people you have and appreciate in your life. Too often we focus on the negatives. Take some time to really savour what’s going well for you and those closest to you.
- Help someone in need. Doing things for others not only helps them in a practical sense, but does wonders for your sense of wellbeing. So at this time of year in particular, find some way to spread a little happiness.
- Engage with something completely different. Read a book, take up a new hobby. Whilst you might want to give your brain a rest, by focusing on something other than your day-to-day work you can really invigorate your thinking. A change is as good as a break – as they say!
- Keep active. Especially if you over-indulge! Sometimes our jobs demand so much of our time that we can’t get out and move. So take the time to stroll along a beach, or through the bush. It’s great for your body and mind!
In order to look after the kids, we must ensure we look after ourselves.
Enjoy the summer – I’ll be taking a break from the Blogosphere until mid Jan. See you then!